A child who has developed initiative is able to be a self-directed learner, make decisions, problem solve effectively, preconceive ideas, take action on them and follow through until completion. Competence in initiative is a key component to future learning and life success.
WPELC Encourages Children’s Initiative by
- Giving children a choice when it is truly a choice
- Allowing children to make decisions about no only what they’re going to do but how
- Reflectively describing the choices you see children making in their work process
- Providing accessible materials to children for them to utilize
- Encouraging children to help each other, reinforcing their competence and authority